“A light exists in spring
Not present on the year
At any other period.
When March is scarcely here.” – Emily Dickinson
As seen on the Paper Whimsy Inspire blog: paperwhimsy.com/inspiration/?p=2441
Who could resist little Poppets in garden pots adorning your home, office, or studio. They say..”Welcome” Spring! These little poppets would also make pretty table settings for the Easter holiday, bridal or baby showers, or to give to co-workers to brighten their office cubical! However you decide to create them, have fun and do share your little poppet with us won’t you?!
I wanted a neutral look for my project and stayed with more of natural hues. You could also paint the pots, dye the cheesecloth, and use color on the handles to make your project pop.
(1) Dye bits of cheesecloth and dry on cookie sheet. Cheesecloth is also pretty dyed and food coloring is a beautiful way to add hues.
(2) Cut pieces of florist foam or Styrofoam a little smaller than the height of the pot. Drape the cheesecloth inside of the pot and over the edges. Insert the foam into the pot. Cover foam with moss.
(3) Print out beautiful faces and wings. Collage on to lightweight cardboard using Matte Gel Medium. Once dry cut out body and wings. Glue to sticks. Add Stickles to the wings.
(4) Print out words using favorite computer fonts and cut out to create banners. Add Stickles to the edges and glue on body.
(5) Cut a handle for each pot. I used silk pussy willows, but the handle could be made from grapevine, forsythia, wire, wire wrapped with ribbon, or other silks. Place end into foam, bend and stick in other side.
(6) Place your poppet in center of pot. Add candy, faux speckled eggs, or silk flowers.
I hope you will check out this wonderful class taught by my art friend (and also a Michigander) Laura Robberts! Laura is an amazing artist and I know this will be an AMAZING class!
Lover-Lee’s Mixed Media Art Dolls
Class taught by Laura Robberts
Class registration begins March 19th and ends April 13th. (Early registrations are accepted)
Click here for complete details, fees and sign up!